Friday, March 2, 2012

Quite a Snow Day

Stepping out into the night, I am greeted by a swift gust of air and heavy snowflakes blurring my vision. It is 5:09 in the evening, if I work quickly I can make it to my 5:45 class. Every car in the driveway is hidden beneath a soft white blanket, and the fresh powder crunches under each step I make toward my car. I put on my gloves and take out the long handled brush to begin wiping my car down. My roommate, Alana begins to kick some of the snow away from the back tires due to our lack of shovel. The snow easily glides off of the front and back windshields, but the four inches of snow that had piled up on top give me a harder time, I use the hard side of the brush to break up the icy pile. It is now 5:17 as we slide into the car. I turn the keys into the ignition, and hear a small grumble from my car's engine, and then nothing. 5:19, Alana and I look to each other, quickly get out of the car and run to the bus stop only two blocks away.
Thankfully we make it just as the 10 bus is pulling up on the corner of Western Avenue and Ontario Street.



The crowd on the bus tonight is mostly students, bundled up so much you can barely see anything but their eyes, nose, and cheeks, rosy from the cold winds. My phone reads 5:26, "We're actually going to make it to class on time," I tell Alana. She responds with a roll of her eyes. The bus makes its usual stops, with few people getting on at each one, anyone in their right mind would have chosen to skip class on a night like this. But not us, our teacher refused to cancel class since we had a paper due this evening. I am mesmerized by the view from the bus window, Albany actually looks sort of beautiful covered by snowfall. My thoughts are interrupted by Alana asking my if we had already passed campus. My heart sinks. I suddenly stand up and ask the bus driver to stop immediately. We hurry off the bus, thankfully we are stopped in front of one of the developments that are directly behind the SEFCU arena. A woman walking her dog informs us if we just trek through those trees up ahead, we will be on University Drive West. 


Laughing, me and Alana make our way down the street, through the fluffy snow, and begin climbing up the small hill. The snow is still coming down hard, not making our task any easier. It is now 5:40 by the time we reach University Drive, and begin to hike our way up the Purple Path, where somehow people are jogging and exercising in this weather. "So I guess we're going to be late for class..." I think aloud which seems to strike a nerve in Alana. "There is no way our papers will be late after all this!" she exclaims as she stands in the middle of the road and waves down a black Toyota Camry. The car drives a little past us before slowing down, and the two of us open the doors and jump in before even asking the drives for the favor. Charlie, the driver, tells us he is driving to the Colonial parking lot and would be happy to give us a ride up there. Not believing our luck, we thank Charlie over and over again and do not stop until we reach the parking lot, where we bolt from the car, and don't stop until we reach the Humanities building. We trudge into the classroom, panting, and dripping melted snow all over the ground. But we do not care how much of a scene we are making; it is only 5:45 - not even a minute late. 
So happy to be taking the bus to class.
The path that cuts to campus.
Trekking through the woods.

1 comment:

  1. i like two of the photos (not the far away one where you can't see the person). You have several cliched comments such as "soft white blanket" and "I am greeted by" in the beginning where it just sounds like you trying too hard. As in the Place piece you do a nice job describing what you observe, but that's not enough. This isn't reporting. It's a first person experience. You need to talk to strangers, people not your roommate or friends and try to describe their experiences as intimately as you have your own here. B-

    ReplyDelete