Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life is a Song

"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain,"
singer and legend Bob Marley said about music, and most of us know just what he meant. Music is a way for people to relax, or just escape from whatever they need a break from. The beautiful thing about music, is that everyone has a different appreciation for, and taste in music. Sometimes, hearing a song can bring you back to a time that makes you feel happy, sad, angry, etc. Music evokes a different emotion, or feeling in different people, and it is interesting to see how music affects people differently. Some songs that have a significant meaning in my life is Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band, and Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes.



Every time I hear Dave Matthew Band's Crash Into Me, it brings me back to the first time I heard it. Years ago, my parents surprised me and my sister with tickets to a Dave Matthews Band concert at Hershey Park with the rest of our extended family. I had never listened to any of their music, but was excited nonetheless. It was a cool summer night, and the arena was outside, and filled with thousands of DMB fans all cheering and screaming in anticipation for the band to come on and start the set. When Crash Into Me began playing, I immediately fell in love with the song. As I began to really enjoy the music, I looked around and just felt so happy having my parents, sister, and cousins all around me, enjoying the music, and enjoying each other. 


I am always trying to find new songs to listen to, and attempt to update my ipod as often as possible because I tend to get sick of listening to the same songs very quickly. During last semester in the fall, I went through a period of a week or two where I was just feeling a little homesick, I missed my parents, even my dogs, but mostly I really missed my sister. On one of my downloading sprees, my friend sent me a song called Home, by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. It sort of sounded a little bit country, which is not my usual taste in music, but it was one of those songs I just couldn't stop listening to. Then, just a few days later, my sister texted me and told me there was this one song I just had to listen to, she sent it to me and it happened to be the same song. It was a weird coincidence, and now whenever I hear the chorus, "home is wherever i'm with you," it reminds me of  my sister and I miss her even more, but also a little bit less.

There are plenty of other songs that remind me of specific times in my life that were either sad, happy, or just remind me of a fun night out with my friends. However none have as much significance as these two songs do, both of which remind me of my family, and they both have the power to make me instantly happy.  

"You learn a lot about people when you listen to 
the songs that mean something to them." 
-Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. The first line is awkward and weak especially compared to the rest of the posting which is personal and interesting. Don't use the phrase "was quoted by." Marley SAID it and you quoted him.

    So this: One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain," this was quoted by Bob Marley, and is saying almost everyone knows, and most can relate to. Should be:

    "When it hits you you feel no pain," singer Bob Marley said about music, and most of us know just what he meant.

    A-

    ReplyDelete